Forum Jezioralasy (Ilona i Andrzej Ziółkowscy)

89-511Cekcyn ul.Okrężna1 tel:(52) 334 72 33 . 505 786 206

The complete guide on how to use -ING in English

Coś Cię boli? źle się czujesz?

The complete guide on how to use -ING in English

Postprzez kulsumkhatun488 » poniedziałek, 11 mar 2024, 06:19

In Portuguese, the gerund is used to talk about situations that are or were happening, and we construct it by adding the suffixes -ANDO , -ENDO and -INDO ​​to the verbs. The gerund also exists in English, with the addition of -ING , and its use has some particularities that require special attention. That's why we decided to make a complete guide to answer your questions once and for all! Gerund and Present Participle Before we begin, it is important to explain that, in English grammar, a distinction is made between gerund and present participle . Although both are built from the addition of the suffix -ING , the gerund is used to transform a verb into a noun or as a complement to a sentence, while the present participle accompanies the verb to be in the verb tenses that we know as continuous tenses ( present continuous , past continuous and future continuous , among others). For those who like grammar, it is important to understand the difference between these technical terms and their functions. Verbs in English: phrasal verbs with “get”When acting as a subject, the gerund usually appears at the beginning of a sentence, before the verb. Swimming keeps me in shape. Swimming keeps me in shape.

Reading is fundamental. Reading Greece Phone Number is fundamental. Apologizing is not enough anymore. Apologizing is no longer enough. Complement of the verb to be We often use the gerund to complement sentences with the verb to be . Here are some examples: My favorite hobby is reading . My favorite hobby is reading. My job is teaching English to young people. My job is to teach English to young people. The best thing in life is eating healthy food. The best thing in life is to eat healthy foods. Verbs in English: phrasal verbs with “take” Complementing the sentence with other verbs In both Portuguese and English, there are cases in which we need to use two verbs in sequence in the same sentence. John enjoys singing and dancing . John likes to sing and dance. She misses playing with her friends from school. She misses playing with her friends at school. Can you imagine living without your smartphone? Can you imagine living without your smartphone? The use of the gerund is mandatory after certain verbs. These are some of the most important: to admit to advise to avoid to consider to delay to deny to discuss to enjoy to finish to keep to miss to recommend to regret to risk to suggest to tolerate Attention: Some verbs will never be followed by the gerund , but rather by the infinitive (accompanied by to ). There are also verbs that admit both the gerund and the infinitive. Want , need and forget are examples of verbs that will never be followed by a gerund .

Obrazek

While hate , love and like can be followed by both the gerund and the infinitive. After prepositions and phrasal verbs The gerund is also used after prepositions and to accompany phrasal verbs . Check out some examples below: He looked into buying a new sound system. He considered buying a new stereo. I ended up getting lots of Christmas cards. I ended up getting a lot of Christmas cards. I look forward to seeing you soon. I look forward to seeing you soon. He's interested in taking a Japanese course. He is interested in taking a Japanese course. I'm scared of being by myself. I'm afraid of being alone. She left the party without saying goodbye. She left the party without saying goodbye. Using the present participle The present participle is used in the formation of verbal tenses that we know as continuous tenses ( present continuous , past continuous and future continuous , among others). Here, you will notice that we find a more direct correspondence with what we know as a gerund in the Portuguese language. I am talking to her now. I'm talking to her now. They were always making the same mistakes. They were always making the same mistakes. I will be traveling to London in a few months. I will be traveling to London in a few months. Bonus Adjectives Both gerund and present participles can act as adjectives. But to avoid confusion, we decided not to get too caught up in grammatical classifications in this case.
kulsumkhatun488

Postprzez » poniedziałek, 11 mar 2024, 06:19

Powrót do Ośrodek zdrowia